Sunday, April 1, 2012

Old Door Project


One of the rentals that we bought and remodeled had some pretty cool old doors, but we pretty much replaced them all at the time since we really didn't have time to strip all the old paint off and start over. Being a bit of a hoarder my hubby brought a few of them home and I got this brilliant idea one day to make a headboard out of one. I decided to use chemical stripper thinking it would be easier and fast. Well I'm not so sure it was but after two jugs of stripper I had most of the old paint off, layers and layers of it I might add.

We ended up buying one decorative piece of trim for and it and the rest we had. I sanded the door down smooth, glued and nailed the pieces into place and then painted it with two coats of oil based paint. Actually you can't even tell its was ever a door. I love making something new and something old out of things that most people would throw out the door!



1 comment:

  1. I love this idea as well! My grandma called it 'making a silk purse out of a sows ear'; its my passion!!

    ReplyDelete